Nanoelectronics and photonics
- Nanoelectronics and photonics (NEP) involve the synthesis and fabrication of semiconductor-based nanostructure materials and devices.
- The unique electrical and optical properties of nanostructures result in improved electrical performance and novel optical characteristics.
- These NEP devices increase the fundamental operating limits of, and open new windows of opportunities for, applications in optoelectronics, telecommunications and biomedical industries.
We focus on the the engineering of III-V compound semiconductors into various nanostructures
– quantum dots
– quantum dot molecules
– quantum wells
– quantum rings
Using molecular beam epitaxy, these quantum structures are routinely grown at sub-monolayer thicknesses and precisions, allowing electronic and photonic properties to be engineered at the material level.
Example of Research Theme
Title: Growth of truncated pyramidal InSb nanostructures on GaAs substrate
Description: This work shows the realization of truncated pyramidal InSb/GaAs nanostructures. Phenomenological growth model is developed based on the structural observation. These structures are infrared active and can be fabricated into photodetectors and emitters.
- Microfluidics is related to the study and manipulation of small fluid volumes, ranging from pL to mL.
- Microfluidics is multiple disciplinary. For example, it involves mechanical, electrical, chemical and micro-/nano-engineering.
- Microfluidic devices can be widely applied to various fields including material sciences, food engineering, biotechnology, microbiology, biomedical engineering, etc.
- Due to small dimensions of fluid, the devices are fast, high sensitivity, economical.
We focus on the use of soft lithography to fabricate microfluidic devices for the research applications. Current fields of interest include
– On-chip microscale impedance measurement
– Droplet generation and manipulation.
– Plant cell manipulation.
– Cell/particle sorting and analysis
Our aim is to widen the microfluidic applications, not limited to electrical engineering, to be the grounds of advanced research in various field for the country and region.
Example of Research Theme
Title: Vacuole Isolation of Plant Cells
Description: Vacuole is an organelle mainly found in plant cells. The extraction of substances such as anthocyanins or pigments in the vacuole are of interest both in academic and in industrial aspects. A microfluidic device is designed to induce breakdown on cell membrane by applying electric field and obtain plant vacuole intact.